Mar 8, 2012

scariest moment to date

maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration,
maybe not.
i can't off the top of my head think of a scarier moment in my life,
not as a mother at least.
for all documentation purposes,
i'll tell you about my lovely friday afternoon.

every day as danny gets off work he texts my mom
to see if parker is awake for him to go pick up, or still napping.
on friday he was sleeping a littler later,
so danny went to his cousins to visit and wait for him to get up.
(yes, we have a pretty sweet situation)
as parker woke up my mom heard him on the monitor
coughing/gagging.
she ran upstairs thinking he was going to throw up
and realized he was actually gasping for air.
you know that seal-like barking croupy cough noise,
well it sounded like that, only he wasn't coughing
he was struggling to breathe.
she immediately called danny who flew over to her house.
in the mean time calling me at work
and i could hear him in the background breathing.
i told her to call 911, kids should never be struggling to breathe,
and me working in the medical field
hear the horror stories of kid's throats closing completely off that quickly.
as d walked in and saw parker struggling, they decided he needed
to be seen by a doctor asap.
they rushed out the door without even a diaper bag 
and poor pj in his nap soaked pee diaper.
(obviously the least of their worries)
on the drive over he started slowing his breathing and doing slightly better. 
 i grabbed my purse and ran out of work to meet them at urgent care.
i spent the next hour praying and reasoning with God
to help me get there safe,
and to be with my baby when i couldn't.
my life flashed before me, realizing i couldn't go on
if something seriously happened to my son.
and maybe cussing at the slow pokes in my way.
i was on a mission!
when i got to urgent care he was doing much better,
still looked sickly and when he tried to talk
he sounded like a 2 pack a day smoker.
they diagnosed him with croup and an ear infection in his left ear.
predinose and breathing treatments for the croup,
amoxicillin for the ear.
luckily he didn't inherit my allergy to all penicillin's.
 on our way home,
pj chatted up a storm. like nothing ever happened!
totally, totally bizzare.
fine all morning for my mom, can't breathe for about 30 min,
and then fine all evening.
 after a sleepless night on my part
worrying it would happen again,
the next morning he did develop a bad cough and runny nose
that's pouring out in buckets.
which we're are pretty sure the entire franklin county has 
the same sinus infection right now.
but this is a deep congested cough, not a croup cough.
so we are a bit baffled by the whole thing.
d told me that night he's never been so scared in his life.
it was like 2 hours later and he was still shaking.
life is so precious
and can be taken from you in a flash.

so we're hoping it really was just a quick case of croup
and not some kind of asthma
and weird throat spasm.
either way, i'd like for it to never happen again, mkay?







carpe diem
SEP

No comments: